Chemical peels are the oldest, time tested way to rejuvenate your skin and get rid of wrinkles. Even Cleopatra bathed in spoiled milk which gave her skin the benefits of lactic acid (but probably didn’t help her to smell good). Luckily we have perfected our formulas and when you get a chemical peel your face won’t smell like bad milk, but it will make you look years younger! You might be ready for the treatment, but is your skin? To make sure you get the most of your chemical peel, make sure your skin is prepared and you’re taking care of it.
- No Waxing – Be sure to avoid getting your skin waxed or using any hair removal treatments for a week before you get your chemical peel. That means your brows might look a little overgrown, but it will be worth it when the wrinkles are gone and you feel more confident in your skin!
- Stay Out of the Sun – Avoid tanning booths and unprotected sun exposure for two weeks before your chemical peel. Keep your skin protected with sunscreen if you do find yourself needing to be out in the sun for a small amount of time. Do your best to avoid it as much as possible!
- Talk to your Doctor – Make sure that any medications you are taking won’t have bad reactions with the treatment. Ask questions about the procedure and be sure that the chemical peel you are getting will work best for you.
- Don’t Exfoliate! – Think of your new skin as delicate baby skin cells. It’s still new to the world and isn’t strong enough yet to handle exfoliation. You could damage your new baby skin and potentially hurt yourself, so make sure that your soaps and lotions are all gentle.
- Keep Calm – Using gentle and calming lotions and cleansers is best for your skin. Any harsh ingredients could aggravate your already delicate skin and cause problems. Soothing products with chamomile and with comfort your skin and help to reduce redness.
- Use SPF – Keeping your skin protected from the sun, even when you don’t think you need to, will help you to avoid damaging your skin before it’s fully healed from your chemical peel. Your skin will be very sensitive and a sunburn can hurt way more after a treatment, so it’s best to stay out of the sun as much as you can!
We can’t all have perfect skin, but chemical peels can help to make it look like we do! While this treatment can make you look younger and help to get rid of wrinkles, don’t forget that your skin still needs your help. If you’re a little overwhelmed and nervous about caring for your skin before your chemical peel, don’t be afraid to reach out and ask questions. Our team is happy to help you.